Wendie A Berg, MD, PhD, FACR, FSBI
- Professor, Department of Radiology, Breast Imaging Division
Wendie A. Berg, MD, PhD, FACR, is Professor of Radiology and is well known for her role as Study Chair and PI of ACRIN 6666, Screening Breast Ultrasound and MRI in High-Risk Women. Dr. Berg trained at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine where she received MD and PhD (Pharmacology) degrees and completed residency in Diagnostic Radiology. She worked on BI-RADS Ultrasound and Mammography lexicons, has authored or coauthored over 100 peer-reviewed publications, and co-wrote and edited all three editions of the book, Diagnostic Imaging: Breast. She has led and authored results of multicenter clinical trials evaluating breast PET and shear-wave elastography, and is currently completing a prospective multicenter study of screening ultrasound after tomosynthesis in women with dense breasts in addition to starting a prospective study of contrast-enhanced mammography vs. tomosynthesis in women with a personal history of breast cancer. Dr. Berg is Chief Scientific Advisor to www.DenseBreast-info.org.
- Berg WA, Berg JM, Sickles EA, Burnside ES, Zuley ML, Rosenberg RD, Lee CS. Cancer Yield and Patterns of Follow-up for BI-RADS 3 after Screening Mammography Recall in the National Mammography Database. Radiology. 2020; in press.
- Berg WA, Vourtsis A. Screening breast ultrasound using handheld or automated technique in women with dense breasts. J Breast Imaging. 2019;1:283-296, epub Oct 31, 2019. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jbi/wbz055
- Berg WA, Bandos AI, Mendelson EB, Lehrer D, Jong RA, Pisano ED. Ultrasound as the primary screening test for breast cancer: Analysis from ACRIN 6666. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2016;108:djv367 (epub 12/29/2015) PMID 26712110
- Berg WA, Zhang Z, Lehrer D, Jong RA, Pisano ED, Barr RG, Böhm-Vélez M , Mahoney MC, Evans III WP, Larsen LH, Morton MJ, Mendelson EB, Farria DM, Cormack JB, Marques HS, Adams A, Yeh NM, and Gabriell G, for the ACRIN 6666 Investigators. Detection of Breast Cancer with Addition of Annual Screening Ultrasound or a Single Screening MRI to Mammography in Women with Elevated Breast Cancer Risk. JAMA 2012;307:1394-1404. PMID 22474203
- Berg WA, Zheng Z, Cormack JB, Mendelson EB. Multiple bilateral circumscribed masses on screening breast ultrasound: Consider annual follow-up. Radiology 2013;268:673-683. PMID: 23616634
Principal Investigator 2/25/20-11/30/20